Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards for the D.O. Program
In order for students to meet SAP standards, students must:
- Successfully complete all their courses/clerkships/required seminars each year;
- Complete the D.O. degree requirements within six years (150% of the standard four years) of the first day of attendance. Exceptions may be made for periods when the student may be withdrawn from the college.
Grading System for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree
H – Honors
HP – High Pass
P – Pass
F – Fail
I – Incomplete
S – Satisfactory
U – Unsatisfactory
WA – Withdrawn, Administratively
W – Withdrawn, Passing
WF – Withdrawn, Failing
TC – Transfer Credit
AC – Assessment Credit
(H) Honors – Awarded to students whose performance is determined to be in the top 10% of the cohort of students enrolled in the course for 500-level and 600-level courses (or as otherwise specified in the course syllabus); Awarded to students who attain a minimum COMAT standard score of 115 and a minimum Overall Student Performance Evaluation Score of 6 in 700-level courses (or as otherwise specified in the course syllabus).
(HP) High Pass – Awarded to students who attain a COMAT standard score between 110 and 114 and a minimum Overall Student Performance Evaluation of 6 in 700-level clerkship courses (or as otherwise specified in the course syllabus).
(P) Pass – All requirements for successful completion of the course have been met.
(F) Fail – Requirements for successful completion of the course have NOT been met.
(I) Incomplete – All assignments/activities used to determine a course grade have not been completed.
(S) Satisfactory – Performance has met the minimum standards for passing.
(U) Unsatisfactory – Performance has NOT met the minimum standards for passing.
The grades of I (Incomplete) and U (Unsatisfactory) are interim grades and change to a grade of P (Pass) when the requirements for passing are successfully completed within the allotted time frame or to a grade of F (Fail) if the student is unable to successfully complete the requirements for passing within the allotted time frame. Grades of I and U will be automatically changed to a grade of F (Fail) if the student does not complete the work before the start of the academic year following the assignment of the I or U grade. In some instances, a grade of I (Incomplete) may also change to a grade of H (Honors) or HP (High Pass) as a result of completed assignments/activities meeting the corresponding grade standards (unless otherwise specified in the course syllabus).
Promotion Requirements for the D.O. Program
Promotion from one year to the next is contingent upon the following:
- The student must meet satisfactory academic progress standards.
- The student must meet all financial obligations to the college.
- The student must exhibit professional conduct and excellent moral and ethical behavior.
- Students are expected to take COMLEX-USA Level I prior to enrolling in the third year. Any student who fails a single level of COMLEX-USA examination series three times will be at risk for dismissal. Any student who fails a combined total of four attempts at any level of COMLEX-USA will be at risk for dismissal.