Financial Aid for Contractual Agreements

New York Institute of Technology students who want to attend foreign schools (both Title IV and non-Title IV eligible) and non-Title IV eligible domestic institutions for a semester may be able to use federal financial aid under a Contractual Agreement. Students must be approved by their respective academic department prior to attending the semester(s).

At least four weeks prior to the start of the semester, students must contact the Office of Financial Aid to:

  1. Ensure they have a valid FAFSA on file at New York Institute of Technology (using federal school code 002782).
  2. Ensure the institution they plan to attend will participate in a Contractual Agreement.
  3. Submit a completed Contractual Agreement form.
  4. Submit documentation of the cost of attendance from the institution to be attended.
  5. Submit Verification of Enrollment (Course Registration) from the institution to be attended.
  6. Submit contact information from the institution to be attended.
  7. Submit academic department’s approval (Permission to Take Courses at Another College form).
  8. If paying tuition at the other school, submit an invoice from the school to be attended.

The regulations of the U.S. Department of Education govern Title IV student eligibility and eligible amounts. Based on federal regulations, there is a limit on the portion of the program that can be offered by the host school under a contractual agreement. The portion allowed ranges between 25 percent and 50 percent of an educational program that can be provided by the ineligible school.

Ref: 2023–2024 FSA Handbook, Vol. 2, Ch. 2, pp. 30–31: School Eligibility and Operations, (34 CFR 668.39 and CFR 668.50).