Veterans Benefits: Graduate Students
Veterans may qualify for additional benefits, including the Yellow Ribbon Program. For more information, contact the following agencies:
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
- GI Bill®
- NY State Veterans
- Office of the Registrar at NYIT’s Long Island campus, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- HESC Veterans Tuition Award (VTA) (NYS Code for NYIT is 5455 for graduate students)
- Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program
- Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill® Benefits to Dependents
The combined tuition benefits available to a student cannot exceed the student’s total tuition costs. Tuition payments received by a student under the Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33 veteran benefits) and Yellow Ribbon Program are considered duplicative of any VTA and/or TAP award. Students receiving tuition assistance through these programs may, and in most cases will, have their state VTA and/or TAP payment reduced or denied due to these other benefits. However, payments received under the Montgomery GI Bill® do not duplicate the purpose of the VTA and/or TAP.
Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018
Section 103 – VA Pending Payment Compliance
In accordance with Title 38 US Code 3679 subsection (e), this school adopts the following additional provisions for any students using U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® (Ch. 33) or Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment (Ch. 31) benefits, while payment to the institution is pending from the VA.
This school will not:
- Prevent nor delay the student’s enrollment;
- Assess a late penalty fee to the student;
- Require the student to secure alternative or additional funding;
- Deny the student access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fee bills to the institution, including but not limited to access to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities.
However, to qualify for this provision, such students may be required to:
- Produce the Certificate of Eligibility by the first day of class;
- Provide written request to be certified;
- Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as described in other institutional policies.