English Language Institute
If English is not your native language, you may need specialized English coursework in order to achieve your goals. NYIT’s English Language Institute (ELI) offers a highly competitive program especially designed to prepare students for academic and professional careers. We offer every level of English instruction that will will prepare you for your future.
ELI introduces students to American culture and life through experiential learning. It offers cultural and social activities that become part of our students’ educational experiences.
Not only is ELI a service center for international students, it is available for residents of our communities, for whom English is a second language. ELI offers courses for those who wish to improve their English skills whether or not a visa is required. We are authorized under federal law to enroll non-immigrant alien students and to issue I-20 forms for F-1 students and DS-2019 forms for J-1 students.
Our non-credit classes include:
- Reading, writing, listening, speaking, and grammar
- Elective courses aligned to academic programs and professional or personal interests
- Cultural and social activities
- Small class sizes
- Blended classes with technology-enabled and in-class learning
- An English language learning portfolio to document your language development
- Business English Certificate: Our five-level certificate program in Business English is designed for adult learners and international students whose English language skills vary from absolute beginner to high-intermediate levels.
- Intensive English: This 15-week program, available during the fall and spring academic semesters, consists of four intensive levels of skill-based instruction (listening, speaking, reading, and writing).
- Pathway Program – ESL: A gateway to academic programs for students who do yet not have the required English proficiency. You will take English and academic classes according to your proficiency level, and then enter your academic program full time once you complete the program.