Withdrawal/Dismissal Refund Policy
When a student withdraws from the college or from a course, he/she must complete a Withdrawal/Clearance form available at nyit.edu/registrar or in person at NYIT Enrollment Services Center. Tuition liability is based on the date of withdrawal determined and recorded on the withdrawal form. Requests for a refund or reduction of indebtedness received more than 12 months from the first scheduled day of the semester or term in question will be denied. All fees are nonrefundable.
Non-attendance to classes, informing the instructor of withdrawal, or stopping payment on a check does not constitute an official withdrawal and does not relieve the student of his or her financial obligation.
In the case of complete withdrawal or dismissal from the college, students who were awarded federal Title IV financial aid will be subject to proration on the awards in accordance with applicable federal regulations. The application of federal refund provisions may result in an outstanding balance owed to the college and/or the U.S. Department of Education. Details of the adjustment to federal Title IV financial aid awards will be provided to the student following the withdrawal process.
In the event of a full withdrawal or dismissal, the tuition liability is calculated, excluding all fees (except for the college fee if the withdrawal or dismissal occurs before the first scheduled day of the semester, cycle or course, as appropriate) and room deposits as follows:
Traditional Semester Fall and Spring Courses:
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time from the date of the student’s registration to the day before the first scheduled day of the semester: 100 percent refund on the tuition and the college fee.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time during the first week of the semester: 75 percent refund of tuition only.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time during the second week of the semester: 50 percent refund of tuition only.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time during the third week of the semester: 25 percent refund of tuition only.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time after the start of the fourth week of the semester: no refund.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time from the date of the student’s registration to the day before the first scheduled day of the course: 100 percent refund of the tuition and the college fee.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time during the first and second week of the course: 50 percent refund of tuition only.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time after the start of the third week of the course: no refund.
- Withdrawal or dismissal at any time effective the first day of the term: no refund.
Online Maryland Students:
- The minimum refund that an institution shall pay to an online Maryland student who withdraws or is terminated after completing only a portion of a course, program, or term within the applicable billing period is as follows:
| Proportion of Total Course, Program, or Term Completed
as of Date of Withdrawal or Termination
|Less than 10%||90% refund|
|10% up to but not including 20%||80% refund|
|20% up to but not including 30%||60% refund|
|30% up to but not including 40%||40% refund|
|40% up to but not including 60%||20% refund|
|More than 60%||No refund|
A refund due to an online Maryland student shall be based on the date of withdrawal or termination and paid within 60 days from the date of withdrawal or termination. This policy applies only to online Maryland students.
All approved refunds are issued in the name of the student and mailed to the student’s permanent address. Note: If a credit balance is due to a personal check or ACH check, it will be subject to a 30 day hold unless proof of clearance has been provided.
No transcripts, grade reports, or diplomas will be released to any student who owes tuition or fees or fines, including, parking and library fines, to the college at the time of the request. Upon payment of any outstanding indebtedness to NYIT, transcripts, diplomas or grade reports may be released.
If you have any questions regarding the above information, contact the Office of the Bursar at 516.686.7510 or email@example.com.