Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Standards for the D.O. Program
In order for students to meet SAP standards, students must:
- Successfully complete all their courses/clerkships/required seminars each year;
- Complete the D.O. degree requirements within 6 years (150% of the standard 4 years) of the first day of attendance. Exceptions may be made for periods when the student may be withdrawn from the College.
Grading System for Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine Degree
H – Honors
HP – High Pass
P – Pass
F – Fail
I – Incomplete
S – Satisfactory
U – Unsatisfactory
WA – Withdrawn, Administratively
W – Withdrawn, Passing
WF – Withdrawn, Failing
TC – Transfer Credit
CR – Assessment Credit
* (H) Honors – awarded to students whose performance is determined to be in the top 10% of the cohort of students enrolled in the course (or as otherwise specified in the course syllabus).
(HP) High Pass – awarded to students whose performance is determined to be in the top 15% of the cohort of students enrolled in the corresponding third-year clerkship course (or as otherwise specified in the course syllabus).
(P) Pass – All requirements for successful completion of the course have been met.
(F) Fail – Requirements for successful completion of the course have NOT been met.
(I) Incomplete – All assignments/activities used to determine a course grade have not been completed.
(S) Satisfactory – Performance has met the minimum standards for passing.
(U) Unsatisfactory – Performance has NOT met the minimum standards for passing.
The grades of I (Incomplete) and U (Unsatisfactory) are interim grades and change to a grade of P (Pass) when the requirements for passing are successfully completed within the allotted timeframe or to a grade of F (Fail) if the student is unable to complete successfully the requirements for passing within the allotted time-frame. Grades of I and U will be automatically changed to a grade of F (Fail) if the student does not complete the work before the start of the academic year following the assignment of the I or U grade.
* Note: The Honors grade (H) does not apply to the 800 level courses.
Promotion Requirements for the D.O. Program
Promotion from one year to the next is contingent upon the following:
- meeting satisfactory academic progress standards.
- meeting all financial obligations to the college.
- exhibiting professional conduct and excellent moral and ethical behavior.
- students are expected to take COMLEX-USA, Level I prior to enrolling in the third year. A student who fails to achieve a passing score on COMLEX Level I after four attempts will be subject to dismissal.