School of Interdisciplinary Studies and Education
Christian Pongratz, M.Arch., Interim Dean
Shiang-Kwei Wang, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Education
Nicholas Bloom, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Interdisciplinary Studies
Elizabeth Donaldson, Ph.D., Associate Dean for Interdisciplinary Studies
Sheri Kelleher, Ed.D., Assistant Dean
Mission of the School of Interdisciplinary Studies and Education
The newest school at NYIT, the School of Interdisciplinary Studies and Education, was created to foster interdisciplinary teaching and research. When faculty and students from different disciplines share knowledge, exchange ideas, and collaborate on projects, results are innovative, creative, and offer new ways to solve complex problems. Students who have experience in interdisciplinary coursework and research are better prepared for today's workplace, where careers increasingly demand versatile skillsets in interdisciplinary team settings. Interdisciplinary projects, whether related to research or teaching, are enthusiastically supported institution wide as a means for developing "best-in-class" work in niche areas at NYIT. The goal of this school is to ensure that there are fewer barriers, more rewards, and an interdisciplinary-based culture that thrives on all NYIT campuses.
In addition, the education component of the school offers preparatory and advanced professional study through the Teacher Education Programs and Advanced Professional Programs. Programs (degree and non-degree certificates) are offered for P–12 teachers, school and district leaders, school counselors, instructional technology specialists, and professional trainers.
- Adolescence Education, M.S.
- Adolescent Education, M.A.T.
- Childhood Education, Extensions
- Childhood Education, M.S.
- Early Childhood Education, M.S.
- Interdisciplinary Studies, B.A., B.S., B.P.S.
- Instructional Technology for Educators, M.S.
- Instructional Technology for Trainers, M.S.
- School Counseling, M.S.
- Urban Administration, B.S.
Advanced Certificates and Diplomas
- Bilingual School Counseling, Advanced Certificate
- Computers in Education, Advanced Certificate
- Emerging Technologies for Trainers, Advanced Certificate
- Instructional Design for Global e-Learning, Advanced Certificate
- School Leadership and Technology, Advanced Diploma
- STEM Education, Advanced Certificate
- Student Behavior Management, Advanced Certificate
- Teaching 21st-Century Skills, Advanced Certificate
- Virtual Education, Advanced Certificate